Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup Speed

2008-10-09 10:17:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup Speed
From: Stefan Lubitz <stefan.lubitz AT mackevision DOT de>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 16:13:02 +0200

John Drescher schrieb:
>> I have set up a new Backups System and I don't know whether the
>> performance is good or not.
>> So I hope you can tell me a little bit more :-)
>> I am using a LTO4 Autoloader with 2 drives. It is connected to a Debian
>> Backup Server trough an PCI-X SCSI Card (U320).
>> This Server has another internal PCI-X SCSI Card (U320) which is
>> connected to an external Raid (EasyRaid, 3*SATA HD's,  Raid5, 1,9 TB). I
>> am using this Raid for Spooling.
>>
>> The System Harddisk is an internal SAS RAID0 500GB.
>>
> I would use this for spooling if you can or at least test this. I
> would not use raid0 for a system disk but I am going off topic..

Sorry my mistake. I am using Raid1 for the system.
Do you think 250GB would be enough for spooling? Or is it better to use
an external Raid0?

>> The Backup Server is connected to the Fileserver trough Gigabit LAN.
>> Is this settup OK? Would you change something? Is the performane OK? If
>> not, what do you think is the problem? Is it possible to write to 2
>> drives at the same time, to increase write performance?
>>
> Not for 1 single job but you can run a second job on the second tape
> drive at the same time. You can also run more jobs on the same tape
> drive at the same time and they will keep the tape drive more busy if
> you limit the spool size to a few GB.

Thanks for the tip! This means it is better to have a small spoolsize?
Correct?
I will try this. But at the moment I start from the beginning. It seems
something is completely wrong in my configuration.
At the moment I am not able to get btest running.......

Stefan