Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup Speed

2008-10-09 10:00:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup Speed
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Stefan Lubitz" <stefan.lubitz AT mackevision DOT de>, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 09:56:31 -0400
> I have set up a new Backups System and I don't know whether the
> performance is good or not.
> So I hope you can tell me a little bit more :-)
> I am using a LTO4 Autoloader with 2 drives. It is connected to a Debian
> Backup Server trough an PCI-X SCSI Card (U320).
> This Server has another internal PCI-X SCSI Card (U320) which is
> connected to an external Raid (EasyRaid, 3*SATA HD's,  Raid5, 1,9 TB). I
> am using this Raid for Spooling.
>
> The System Harddisk is an internal SAS RAID0 500GB.
I would use this for spooling if you can or at least test this. I
would not use raid0 for a system disk but I am going off topic..

> The Backup Server is connected to the Fileserver trough Gigabit LAN.
> Is this settup OK? Would you change something? Is the performane OK? If
> not, what do you think is the problem? Is it possible to write to 2
> drives at the same time, to increase write performance?
Not for 1 single job but you can run a second job on the second tape
drive at the same time. You can also run more jobs on the same tape
drive at the same time and they will keep the tape drive more busy if
you limit the spool size to a few GB.

John