Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Again: restore all most recent backed up files without using full backups

2008-10-06 10:09:36
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Again: restore all most recent backed up files without using full backups
From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho AT linpro DOT no>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 16:04:22 +0200
gvm999 <gvm999 AT gmail DOT com> writes:

> I found out I accidentally deleted volumes with a full backup.  Or
> the files are not in the database anymore.

the difference is significant, but it sounds like the latter is your
problem.

> So now I wonder, how can I make bacula restore all the files that
> have changed since the full backup?

do restore from the incremental and/or differential jobs.  it will
work like normal, but the "old" files won't be visible.

> Or does losing a full backup means that I have 140GB of volumes
> which have actually no use?

if you have only pruned the file information from the database, you
can do a full restore from the full job.  if you want a selective
restore from the full backup, you need to run bscan to repopulate your
catalog.

> I misconfigured bacula with auto-prune in 30 days (which was a
> stupid decision, I hadn't thought about the consequences :s). So I
> don't know where I can find the catalog which I need to restore the
> files from the full backup.
>
> Is it possible for bacula to search in the volumes for such a backup
> of the catalog (I expect it to be backupped there) or is this
> catalog backup on another location?

restoring the information from the backup of the catalog will be quite
complicated, I think.  you definitely need to be fluent in SQL to pull
it off.  use bscan instead.

> - I get a messages that there is no full backup before the date of
> today, but that is probably because the database entrys are deleted
> by the auto-prune.

what is the exact message you're getting?  I would expect Bacula to
ask you if you want a full restore instead.

PS. I have written a slightly hackish patch to Bacula which allows you
to apply a regular expression to select which files to restore when
the filename information has been pruned from the catalog.  Kern has
accepted this patch in trunk, so in Bacula 2.5 you will be prompted
for a regular expression when you use restore in bconsole in this
situation.
--
regards,          | Redpill  _
Kjetil T. Homme   | Linpro  (_)