Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Data Encryption With Bacula

2008-09-26 20:00:50
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Data Encryption With Bacula
From: Grant <grant-bacula AT mytoolbench DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 18:56:35 -0500

C M Reinehr wrote:
> On Thu 25 September 2008 02:22, Arno Lehmann wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> 25.09.2008 03:56, Grant wrote:
>>
>>> I am emailing as a last resort as I can't find any other information
>>> (besides what I mention below) on the internet nor any information in
>>> the newsgroups.
>>>
>>> I am running Debian, version 4 and have installed the Bacula directory,
>>> file daemon, storage daemon, and console.  It is version 1.38.11 and was
>>> installed using Synaptic Package Manager (outdated but what Debian
>>> offers currently and I believe it will do what I need).  I am using
>>> MySQL for the catalog.  My OpenSSL version is 0.9.8c.
>>>
>> As far as I can see, data encryption was included in version 1.39. The
>> released version after that would have been 2.0.0 - so you'll have to
>> upgrade.
>>
>> I believe there are some packages for debian available - just don't
>> ask me which ones those are, or where to find them :-)
>>
>> Arno
>>

> Grant,
>
> Here you go:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=bacula&searchon=names&section=all&suite=etch-backports
>
> or,
>
> http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=bacula&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all
>
> HTH
>
> cmr
>

>>> I configured everything and successfully ran a backup of the system.  My
>>> plan is to add other systems which are at different locations and thus
>>> the backups will be done over the public internet.  As a result, I want
>>> to implement security.  It appears the two options are TLS or data
>>> encryption, the later being my choice.  I played around with TLS but it
>>> proved to be difficult to setup for my systems.  I followed the
>>> directions (http://www.bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Data_Encryption.html)
>>> for data encryption by setting up the private/public encryption keys.  I
>>> added the necessary parameters to the configuration file but am getting
>>> an error message when I try to restart the file daemon.  My
>>> configuration file is as follows:
>>>
>>> FileDaemon {
>>>   Name = martin-fd
>>>   FDport = 9102
>>>   WorkingDirectory = /var/lib/bacula
>>>   Pid Directory = /var/run/bacula
>>>   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 10
>>>   FDAddress = 127.0.0.1
>>>
>>>   PKI Signatures = Yes
>>>   PKI Encryption = Yes
>>>   PKI Keypair = "/etc/bacula/certs/martin.pem"
>>>   PKI Master Key = "/etc/bacula/certs/master.cert"
>>> }
>>>
>>> The error I am receiving is as follows:
>>>
>>> 24-Sep 20:42 bacula-fd: ERROR TERMINATION at parse_conf.c:853
>>> Config error: Keyword "PKISignatures" not permitted in this resource.
>>> Perhaps you left the trailing brace off of the previous resource.
>>>
>>>             : line 39, col 17 of file /etc/bacula/bacula-fd.conf
>>>
>>>   PKI Signatures = Yes            # Enable Data Signing

> [...]
Thank you both for your responses.  I was able to upgrade to version
2.4.2 however when I run it now, it says PKI encryption was enabled but
not compiled into Bacula.  I assume that this problem relates to the
parameter --with-openssl which is suppose to be supplied when running
./configure.  Am I out of luck in terms of using Synaptic Package
Manager to install Bacula now?