Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Data Encryption With Bacula

2008-09-25 03:28:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Data Encryption With Bacula
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:22:30 +0200
Hi,

25.09.2008 03:56, Grant wrote:
> I am emailing as a last resort as I can't find any other information
> (besides what I mention below) on the internet nor any information in
> the newsgroups.
>
> I am running Debian, version 4 and have installed the Bacula directory,
> file daemon, storage daemon, and console.  It is version 1.38.11 and was
> installed using Synaptic Package Manager (outdated but what Debian
> offers currently and I believe it will do what I need).  I am using
> MySQL for the catalog.  My OpenSSL version is 0.9.8c.

As far as I can see, data encryption was included in version 1.39. The
released version after that would have been 2.0.0 - so you'll have to
upgrade.

I believe there are some packages for debian available - just don't
ask me which ones those are, or where to find them :-)

Arno

> I configured everything and successfully ran a backup of the system.  My
> plan is to add other systems which are at different locations and thus
> the backups will be done over the public internet.  As a result, I want
> to implement security.  It appears the two options are TLS or data
> encryption, the later being my choice.  I played around with TLS but it
> proved to be difficult to setup for my systems.  I followed the
> directions (http://www.bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Data_Encryption.html)
> for data encryption by setting up the private/public encryption keys.  I
> added the necessary parameters to the configuration file but am getting
> an error message when I try to restart the file daemon.  My
> configuration file is as follows:
>
> FileDaemon {
>   Name = martin-fd
>   FDport = 9102
>   WorkingDirectory = /var/lib/bacula
>   Pid Directory = /var/run/bacula
>   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 10
>   FDAddress = 127.0.0.1
>
>   PKI Signatures = Yes
>   PKI Encryption = Yes
>   PKI Keypair = "/etc/bacula/certs/martin.pem"
>   PKI Master Key = "/etc/bacula/certs/master.cert"
> }
>
> The error I am receiving is as follows:
>
> 24-Sep 20:42 bacula-fd: ERROR TERMINATION at parse_conf.c:853
> Config error: Keyword "PKISignatures" not permitted in this resource.
> Perhaps you left the trailing brace off of the previous resource.
>             : line 39, col 17 of file /etc/bacula/bacula-fd.conf
>   PKI Signatures = Yes            # Enable Data Signing
>
> Any assistance you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Grant

Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann