Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Disturbing backups

2008-09-24 08:36:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Disturbing backups
From: James Cort <james.cort AT u4eatech DOT com>
To: Bill Damage <bill.damage AT yahoo DOT com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 12:59:05 +0100
Bill Damage wrote:

> I restarted bacula using ./bacula restart and forgot it was in the
> middle of a full backup to tape - it was actually writing at that
> moment. Will it recover from this disturbance or should I start again?
> How can I check?

It's possible that the tape contents will not be consistent with the
database, which will pose a problem if you need to read that tape in the
future.  There is an easy way to fix that, but I forget what it is...

> Incidentally I restarted because I wanted to update the operators email
> fields in the dir conf file - did I really need to restart or would it
> have picked them up without it?

You can type "reload" from the console to reload config files without
disturbing running backups but IME (certainly for versions 2.0 and
earlier, not sure about more recent) that can be dangerous because
syntax errors in the config file can cause the director to die.

--
James Cort

IT Manager
U4EA Technologies Ltd.