Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] FW: Files/Directories missing from backup

2008-09-19 03:55:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] FW: Files/Directories missing from backup
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 09:54:41 +0200
Hello,

19.09.2008 07:04, Ken Barclay wrote:

> Thanks for your response Martin.
>
> I did check the logs and found nothing of interest.
> I did the @output as you suggested and sure enough /share and all its
> contents were included.

Interesting coincidence... I had a customer report something similar
recently - a certain directory that *should* have been included was not.

Investigation goes slowly, so I don't know anything definitive yet,
but as far as I know, cleaning up the fileset definition, reloading,
and then verifying the job with 'estimate listing' seemed to show that
everything was picked up.

Sounds like a miracle, a bug that only triggers in certain situations
which I don't understand yet, or a configuration issue (perhaps as
simple as forgetting the 'reload' after a previous configuration
change) - I'm still working on it, or rather, my customer is, with my
advice. I'll let you know if I find something that looks like a Bacula
issue.

By the way - my customer's problem occurred on a windows server FD.

> In my Fileset, the only Exclude is for /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs - so I
> don't think that is a problem.
> Your final suggestion re: strace -f -p might be a job for Monday, if
> necessary.
> In the meantime, yesterday I changed the schedule to force a Full backup
> last night hoping that this would put things back into sync.  The Full
> backup was successful and included everything that had previously been
> missing.  What will be interesting is tonight's Incremental.  Just have
> to wait and see.   Should all go well, I'll let you know.  If not, then
> I'll 'strace' on Monday.  [Fingers crossed].

 From what I know now, I guess you'll find the jobs works as it should
- looks like one of those issues where, once you look closely,
everything works correctly (though the files in question were really
never backed up previously).

Good luck!

Arno

Arno Lehmann