Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Purging All Tapes

2008-09-12 04:06:37
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Purging All Tapes
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 10:05:55 +0200
Hi,

12.09.2008 07:36, John Drescher wrote:
>>> Doesn't the volume parameters get reset to whatever is in the config
>>> files when the tape is first used after a purge though?
>>>
>> At first, I guess you are using the term "purge" here against Bacula
>> conventions, my guess is you merely mean "prune". It may cause confusion.
>>
> I should have said recycled.
>
>> What comes into volume etc settings, they won't get into effect with
>> existing volumes etc automatically.
>>
> Yes, this is true but I believe after a tape is recycled and then
> written to the first time the volume will automatically be updated
> with the new pool parameters provided the config was reloaded.

I don't think so... at least not *all* the volume metadata. Retention
times, recycling settings, and so on remain unchanged as far as I know
- with one exception: When a volume is taken from the screatch pool,
it get's assigned the parameters from the target pool.

> Maybe I
> am wrong. I do remember someone on the list saying this recently. I'm
> thinking Kern. I guess this is easy to verify when I get time.

That would be nice :-)

Arno

> John

Arno Lehmann