Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] backup to removable external disk

2008-09-10 14:32:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] backup to removable external disk
From: Steve Thompson <smt AT vgersoft DOT com>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 14:32:00 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 10 Sep 2008, John Drescher wrote:

> You might want to just open the removable usb cases and use the SATA
> drives in a software linux raid 5 or 6 and just put them in a desktop
> machine that has plenty of motherboard SATA ports. At work I build
> such a machine for less than $900US minus the hard drives for 5 TB
> servers.

Yes, I have done just that already for one of my storage servers. I'm
waiting for a bright idea to occur to me, though, since in one application
I am going to need about 20 TB of backup disk space (with an offsite
mirror), and I haven't yet decided between a larger number of smaller
servers, and a smaller number of larger servers. I do happen to have nine
Dell PE2900 tower machines at my disposal, each of which has six unused
disk slots (but they can't be moved offsite).

Steve