Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] backup to removable external disk

2008-09-10 14:17:38
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] backup to removable external disk
From: Steve Thompson <smt AT vgersoft DOT com>
To: Peter Sjoberg <peters-bacula AT techwiz DOT ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 14:17:17 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 8 Sep 2008, Peter Sjoberg wrote:

> [...]
> What I'm thinking of is that
> I get 3 external disks (USB or eSata, size to be determent)

I have been doing backups to external USB 2 disks for about a year or so
(storage server is a Linux box). It works well enough most of the time,
but those disks are very slow (it can manage about 20 MB/sec with a
trailing wind) and have a tendency to fragility. I also use spooling, with
the spool on SCSI drives; one of the situations where the combination of
spooling and backup to disk seems to make sense. I'm planning on replacing
the USB disks (there are seven of them, 1 TB each) with a SATA shelf with
RAID 5 or 6. I would suggest avoiding USB.

Steve