Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Problems labeling tapes

2008-09-06 21:11:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Problems labeling tapes
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2008 21:09:19 -0400
John Drescher wrote:
>> block.c:999 Read error on fd=4 at file:blk 0:0 on device
>>
> This is normal and expected for a never used tape.
>> "Dell-PV-122T" (/dev/nsa0). ERR=Operation not permitted.
>>
> I am not sure if this is a permissions problem. Is the bacula user in
> the correct group that has write access on tapes?

Yes, that's my suspicion too.  For starters, on FreeBSD 6.3-STABLE , I
do this:

$ grep bacula /etc/group
operator:*:5:root,dan,bacula
bacula:*:910:dan

[dan@ngaio:~] $ ls -l /dev/nsa0
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  6 Jan  1  1970 /dev/nsa0 -> nsa0.0

[dan@ngaio:~] $ ls -l /dev/nsa0.0
crw-rw----  1 root  operator    0, 110 Sep  7 02:00 /dev/nsa0.0
[dan@ngaio:~] $