Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Catalog size problem

2008-09-05 10:42:03
Subject: [Bacula-users] Catalog size problem
From: Foo Bar <bfoo33 AT yahoo.co DOT uk>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 14:41:50 +0000 (GMT)
Hi,

I noticed that the catalog seems to be the same size as all my backups together
(~4 GB for 3 test machines), am I correct in assuming the actual backups are
somehow stored in it and how do I check? At the beginning of the file I see a
lot of plaintext SQL stuff, near the end (probably after I added encryption to
backups) a lot of binary.

I suspect something wrong/recursive in my config but not sure where. The
following relevant (AFAIK at least) entries are in bacula-dir.conf:

 # Backup the catalog database (after the nightly save)
Job {
  Name = "BackupCatalog"
  JobDefs = "DefaultJob"
  Level = Full
  FileSet="Catalog"
  Schedule = "WeeklyCycleAfterBackup"
## Pool does not seem to work here, needs Client to define it?
  Pool = Pool_Catalog
  Client=Catalog-fd
  RunBeforeJob = "/etc/bacula/make_catalog_backup bacula bacula"
  RunAfterJob  = "/etc/bacula/delete_catalog_backup"
  Write Bootstrap = "/var/bacula/working/BackupCatalog.bsr"
  Priority = 11                   # run after main backup
}

# Client (File Services) to backup
Client {
  Name = Catalog-fd
  Address = 127.0.0.1
  FDPort = 9102
  Catalog = XXCatalog
  Password = "********"
  File Retention = 30 days
  Job Retention = 2 months
  AutoPrune = yes
Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 4
}

Pool {
  Name = Pool_Catalog
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes
  AutoPrune = yes
  Volume Retention = 365 days
}

# Generic catalog service
Catalog {
  Name = XXCatalog
  dbname = bacula; user = bacula; password = ""
}

All the clients have Catalog = XXCatalog lines.

The /var/bacula/working/BackupCatalog.bsr file has:

# 05-Sep-2008 01:50:06 - BackupCatalog.2008-09-05_01.50.20 - Full
Volume="Vol_Catalog"
MediaType="NAS_File"
VolSessionId=195
VolSessionTime=1214999599
VolFile=0-0
VolBlock=3964139038-3975461727
FileIndex=1-1

Everything is stored on a Samba mounted NAS share.

If nothing is actually wrong and the catalog is simply huge because it's been
running for a year or so, how do I keep its size down? This will become a major
problem when the system goes into production and needs to handle a lot more
machines.