Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Show Shining, was many many files

2008-09-04 21:24:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Show Shining, was many many files
From: "Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa" <ildefonso.camargo AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Ryan Novosielski" <novosirj AT umdnj DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 20:54:18 +1930
Hi!

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Ryan Novosielski <novosirj AT umdnj DOT edu>
wrote:

> This is why I said that you'll almost always be shoeshining without
> spooling. Many modern drives are so fast that you theoretically need to
> have perfect conditions to avoid shoe-shining. Though, I suppose if
> you're streaming a LOT of data, you're OK.
>
> I wonder how many drives do variable speed writing.

I wonder *how* the tape tells that it have to reduce its speed, I
think that bacula should instruct it to reduce its speed as part of
the configuration (similar as how a cd-r drive modifies its speed
*before* starting the write process).

> John Huttley wrote:
>> To follow up, LTO drives are very fast and this can be a liability.
>> However some drives, notably those by HP and some models by Tandberg support
>> variable speed writing. Normally down to 50% of normal.
>> These are resistant to shoe shining even without spooling.
>>
>> --john
>>
>> Ryan Novosielski wrote:
>> Arno Lehmann wrote:

Ildefonso Camargo