Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Virtual backup

2008-09-03 11:00:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Virtual backup
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: James Cort <james.cort AT u4eatech DOT com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 16:59:03 +0200
On Wednesday 03 September 2008 14:17:56 James Cort wrote:
> Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > I am not 100% sure what to do to resolve this issue.  I suppose one could
> > run a Migration job to "move" the Virtual Backup back to the Pool from
> > which it originally came, then the next Virtual Backup would work fine
> > (the same as the first one), but that sounds a bit kludgie.
>
> I'm speaking in theory here because I'm not familiar with the code; I'm
> just a satisfied user of bacula for a couple of years now.
>
> I'm thinking if immediately you start a virtual backup, you set up a
> temporary virtual pool to which you migrate any media in the pool used
> for storing virtual backups and migrate them back again when the job
> completes.
>
> But then you have to deal with what happens if the director dies or is
> killed part-way through a virtual job.

Well, if you mean changing the pool in which the Media reside rather than a
Migration job, what you describe would not be hard to do.  The problem is
that regardless of what pool the Volumes are in, if the Volume name remains
the same, the potential deadlock will remain because the deadlock occurs at
the Volume level.  For example, assume you first write your data to a disk
file, then you run a Virtual Backup and put that backup on a single drive
tape.  You can then move that tape back to the original pool, then you run a
Virtual backup.  At that point, Bacula will want to read from one pool and
write to another pool so it will be a question of different volumes, but if
the original Virtual backup was made to a single drive tape, you will be in a
deadlock anyway because you cannot read tape 1 and write tape 2 on the same
drive at the same time :-(

The problem if deadlocks and ensuring that Bacula does not get into them is
relatively simple as long as you work with two different pools that use
volumes on different drives.  Once you start moving volumes from one pool to
another, you expose yourself to potential deadlocks ...