Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Mail Server Incremental Backup size of full backup

2008-09-03 10:46:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Mail Server Incremental Backup size of full backup
From: Hemant Shah <hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com>
To: Mark Nienberg <gmane AT tippingmar DOT com>, Alberto Rial <rial AT ardan DOT es>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 07:45:50 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Wed, 9/3/08, Alberto Rial <rial AT ardan DOT es> wrote:

> From: Alberto Rial <rial AT ardan DOT es>
> Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Mail Server Incremental Backup size of full backup
> To: "Mark Nienberg" <gmane AT tippingmar DOT com>
> Cc: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
> Date: Wednesday, September 3, 2008, 2:13 AM
> Mark Nienberg escribió:
> > Alberto Rial wrote:
> >
> >>      I have a mail server running Debian 4.0 and
> bacula version
> >> 2.2.8-8~bpo40+1 installed from debian backports.
> The mail server runs
> >> postfix + courier-imap and size of full backup
> it´s 108 Gb aprox.
> >>     I´ve got a lot of machines on the network who
> are been backed up
> >> succesfully, but the mail server sometimes when
> run a incremental
> >> backup, it´s seems to be an incremental but
> bacula copy all data like in
> >> a full.
> >>

> > If you store your mail messages in traditional unix
> mbox format then any new messages
> > or deleted messages for one user will change the mbox
> file for that user and the
> > backup will include all of that user's mail (since
> it is all in one file).
> >
> > To get true incremental backups for user mailboxes you
> would need to use one of the
> > formats that stores messages as individual files, like
> Maildir.
> >
> > Is that the problem or do you already use Maildir
> format?
> >
> > Mark Nienberg

> Developer's challenge
> > Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin
> SDK & win great prizes
> > Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event
> anywhere in the world

> I´m aleady using Maildir format...  Some of the
> incremental backups runs
> fine (about 700 Mb of daily changes) while some of them
> (generally
> sunday night incremental) has the same size that a full
> backup (about
> 108 gb). If I delete this backup (Incremental with full
> size) next
> backup size will be 108 gb, if i don´t delete it next
> backup runs fine
> (about 700 mb).
>
> Thanks.
>

> Alberto Rial.

It looks like some process that runs on Sunday changes ctime of the files. I
had similar problem where my old backup system (Veritas NetBackup) and bacula
were running together for few months and Veritas would change ctime of the file
because it was resetting the atime of the file and bacula would back it up even
though it did not change. Many of my incremental backups were the size of full
backup.

Hemant Shah
E-mail: hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com