Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Mail Server Incremental Backup size of full backup

2008-09-03 05:44:30
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Mail Server Incremental Backup size of full backup
From: Alberto Rial <rial AT ardan DOT es>
To: Mark Nienberg <gmane AT tippingmar DOT com>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 11:43:54 +0430
Mark Nienberg escribió:
Alberto Rial wrote:

     I have a mail server running Debian 4.0 and bacula version
2.2.8-8~bpo40+1 installed from debian backports. The mail server runs
postfix + courier-imap and size of full backup it´s 108 Gb aprox.
    I´ve got a lot of machines on the network who are been backed up
succesfully, but the mail server sometimes when run a incremental
backup, it´s seems to be an incremental but bacula copy all data like in
a full.

If you store your mail messages in traditional unix mbox format then any new messages
or deleted messages for one user will change the mbox file for that user and the
backup will include all of that user's mail (since it is all in one file).

To get true incremental backups for user mailboxes you would need to use one of the
formats that stores messages as individual files, like Maildir.

Is that the problem or do you already use Maildir format?

Mark Nienberg

I´m aleady using Maildir format...  Some of the incremental backups runs fine (about 700 Mb of daily changes) while some of them (generally sunday night incremental) has the same size that a full backup (about 108 gb). If I delete this backup (Incremental with full size) next backup size will be 108 gb, if i don´t delete it next backup runs fine (about 700 mb).

Thanks.

Alberto Rial.