Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] backup setup

2008-09-03 05:31:21
Subject: [Bacula-users] backup setup
From: "Eli Shemer" <elish AT consist.co DOT il>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 12:29:58 +0300

Hey there,

I have several machines over the internet and I'm in the middle of configuring Bacula to act as the primary backup server for all.

I have one storage device for now which is on the backup server machine, mapped as /storage/ with a 1.1TB disk space with raid 5.

I'm trying to figure out which setup is best for me as I got lightly confused with all the terms of devices, medias, pools, etc.

Since I only have one device and one  storage daemon, can I only assign one pool to it ?

I previously tried to assign each client his own pool but I got mounting issues as a result.

I can easily accomplish to have /storage/backup/file to hold all information of all directories of all servers

But I suppose it would be better to have the next setup in place:

/storage/backup/client1/hdtocs

/storage/backup/client1/htlogs

/storage/backup/client2/hdtocs

/storage/backup/client2/htlogs

One more question:

If I assign a pool to each job somehow hence having the data written to a separate file, will having several volumes to that "file"(file0001,file0002) help me in any way other than splitting the backups to small files?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!