Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup of many many files

2008-09-02 12:38:47
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup of many many files
From: "Yuri Timofeev" <tim4dev AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Daniel Betz" <dbetz AT df DOT eu>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 19:38:40 +0300

> can you give me some tips for backing up an filesystem with many many small
> files on it ?
>
> The problem is, that i must backup mailservers with about 300 GB and  more
> than 1-2 million of many small files (Maildir).
>
> The File Table in the bacula database grows up to more than 3GB and the
> backups takes more than 30 hours.
>
> Is this an good time, or is there an way to optimize this eg. to run more
> cuncurrent jobs than one on the client ?
>
> When i turn on concurrent jobs must i enable data spooling ?

Yes. Use concurrent jobs and enable data spooling.
I always used the concurrent jobs and data spooling, despite warning
that the written in documentation. All - OK.

On the backup server  works only bacula?
Show the contents of the file /etc/my.cnf

And vmstat output on backup servers + 1-2 clients:
vmstat -n 5 20 (in example)
and output "top", "mytop".
Show the speed of copying a file from client to bacula server, for
example, via scp.
All this _twice_: when bacula not working and when bacula works.

All computers are in one datacenter, or scattered in the Internet?

--
with best regards