Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] does Bacula detect file renames?

2008-08-30 12:12:37
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] does Bacula detect file renames?
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 19:12:05 +0300
"Dan Langille" <dan AT langille DOT org> kirjoitti viestissä
news:48B96BA1.4010300 AT langille DOT org...

>>> Bacula will backup everything in a Full backup.
>>>
>>> For the next Incremental or Differential, it uses mtime.  That is, the
>>> last time the file was modified.  If the mtime has not changed, the file
>>> will not be backed up, regardless of name.
>>>
>>> So, for your example: if the file is copied, mtime [usually] changes.
>>> So it will be included in the next inc/diff backup.  Renaming a file
>>> does not change mtime.  Therefore the renamed file will not be included
>>> in the next inc/diff backup.
>>>
>> Just out of curiosity: what information Bacula uses to recognize a
>> renamed
>> file, in addition to mtime?
>
> I am not sure what you mean by "recognize".  Bacula does do anything
> like that (here I am giving you an answer based on not knowing what you
> mean).

Sorry about that stupid question, maybe a fuse had blown in my brains :-)
I should have made a second thought before my previous posting.
I was thinking in a way if the name changes, how would Bacula find out the
details of the previous backups of that file from the catalog. But of
course, mtime alone is enough to expect that file should already have been
backed up sometimes, and it won't be searced from the catalog at all.

--
TiN