Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] does Bacula detect file renames?

2008-08-29 10:37:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] does Bacula detect file renames?
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo AT wpkg DOT org>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 10:36:46 -0400
Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Dan Langille schrieb:
>> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>>> Dan Langille schrieb:
>>>
>>> (...)

>>> Hmm, does "Bacula will backup everything in a Full backup" mean "it
>>> will transfer *everything* over network, even if the same files in the
>>> same location were in the previous full backup?
>> Yes.
>
> That's a bit unfortunate for those doing backups over the Internet,
> isn't it?

I do such backups all the time.  If you don't like it, do one full
backup, keep it forever, then do only Incr/Diff.  :)

>>> Yes, I also expect to find all these files in backup.
>>> The problem is, I don't want to transfer all these files again and
>>> again if the same file is already in the pool.
>> A full backup, by definition, backs up all files.
>
> Of course, but a smart approach (i.e. similar to what rsync does) would
> result in faster backups: only transfer new/changed files, even when you
> make a full backup.
> This way, you can do full backups every day and they are as fast as
> incremental backups.

Smart, in this case, being a subjective term.

Yes.  That would be wonderful.  But it also raises other issues.  I
suggest searching the archives for rsync and catch up on the previous
discussions on this topic.

The existing Bacula approach was not taken lightly.

This issue is partly covered by the "accurate restore" project.

As for doing an rsync type backup, there are many issues associated with
that. It appears simple on the surface, but as you get into it, it
become much more complex very quickly.  Such discussions are best left
to another thread.  See archives.

--
Dan Langille