Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] backup error on LTO3

2008-08-21 09:47:37
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] backup error on LTO3
From: James Cort <james.cort AT u4eatech DOT com>
To: "junior.listas" <junior.listas AT gmail DOT com>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 14:41:56 +0100
(Replying to the list because I forgot to do that with the original reply)

junior.listas wrote:
> James Cort escreveu:
>> There would almost certainly have been a message in the console
>> immediately prior to the request to mount volume "monday" - if you
>> can recreate the issue and send that message to the list it would help.
>>
>> Without it, the best anyone can really do is guess - perhaps the
>> volume's full or there's a flaw with the tape and a misconfiguration
>> is making Bacula ask you to re-insert the same tape?
>>
> This txt is the previous message, for more information: all volumes
> are used at once, my backup is almost 560 gb, this lto can save 800gb
> ( compressed , like always has done ), each tape has your own pool,
> and each pool has just one tape ( one pool for each week day ).

I see two things here that are interesting:

17-Ago 22:52 thegroup-sd: Recycled volume "segunda" on device "LTO"
(/dev/nst0), all previous data lost.
18-Ago 03:59 thegroup-sd: End of Volume "segunda" at 497:1913 on device "LTO"
(/dev/nst0). Write of 64512 bytes got -1.

You've hit the end of the tape.  That "800GB capacity" assumes 2:1 compression
- if you're backing up data that's already compressed, you'll be lucky to get
any compression at all.  So you need more tapes ;)

18-Ago 03:59 thegroup-sd: Re-read of last block succeeded.
18-Ago 03:59 thegroup-sd: End of medium on Volume "segunda"
Bytes=497,091,595,670 Blocks=7,705,413 at 18-Ago-2008 03:59.
18-Ago 04:00 thegroup-dir: Pruned 1 Job on Volume "segunda" from catalog.
18-Ago 04:00 thegroup-dir: Recycled volume "segunda"
18-Ago 04:00 thegroup-sd: Please mount Volume "segunda" on Storage Device "LTO"
(/dev/nst0) for Job

And you've got a misconfiguration regarding retention times somewhere in
bacula-dir.conf because Bacula is pruning and recycling a volume that
it's only just finished using.

--
James Cort

IT Manager