Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] installation winbacula 2+ on windows server 2003 sp2

2008-08-20 07:49:45
Subject: [Bacula-users] installation winbacula 2+ on windows server 2003 sp2
From: Technik <technik AT zli DOT ch>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 13:49:23 +0200 (CEST)
It's time for a new backup server so we want to upgrade bacula to
version 2.4.2. We backup 13 servers: 8 Linux and 5 Windows.

I have started first with upgrading all client daemons. But
unfortunately I have got problems to install winbacula 2.4.2 on some
windows servers. I have tried to update 3 windows servers and two of
them got the following problem.

Double click the installer: A process winbacula-2.4.2.exe is started.
Some files are extracted in the temp directory and a ns[something].tmp
process is launched. But no installation screen appears. After few
seconds the winbacula and ns[something] processes sleep. Nothing else
happens. Both processes have to be killed manually. In the file
ns[something].tmp is beside cryptic letters at the end "ns error". I
believe this error is related to the installer NSIS but I'm really not
shure. There are no entries in the eventlog.

All versions of winbacula behave like that exept version 1.38.11.
Version 1.38.11 can be installed and removed without any problems.

1) Is there a workaround to successfully use the win installer?

2) If I extract the contens of the installer which are the followups for
a correct, successful and manual installation?

Any suggestion is very appreciated.

Edit (didn't send the above bevor my lunchtime): After 90 mins the
installer screen appears ... the installation itself needs more than 30
mins ... cpu idles at 98/99% and 455 MB memory is free ... anti virus on
access scanner is deactivated.

Cheers, Primus.