Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] migration

2008-08-13 17:48:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] migration
From: Sebastian Lehmann <slehmann AT proficom-ag DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 23:48:21 +0200 (CEST)
Hi,

Am Mi 13.08.2008 13:59 schrieb Adrian Moisey
<adrian AT careerjunction.co DOT za>:

> Hi
>
> >> I have bacula setup to do a full backup to disk on a sunday and
> >> incremental ever other day of the week to disk.
> >>
> >> I would like to now store backups to tape and move them offsite.
> >> How do
> >> I "copy" the full backup to tape? I read that I must use
> >> migration[0].
> >>
> >> is that correct?
> >>
> >> Can someone give me pointers?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Adrian
> >>
> >> [0] http://bacula.org/en/dev-manual/Migration.html
> >
> > The documentation should do it, though you probably want rel-manual
> > not
> > dev-manual. AFAIK, you have to have two pools and you run migration
> > jobs
> > to move jobs from one pool to another (and one media type to the
> > other).
> >
> > Perhaps you could try getting started and ask for help if you get
> > stuck
> > somewhere?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Will migrate move or copy the data?
>  From that page:
> The term Migration, as used in the context of Bacula, means moving
> data
> from one Volume to another. In particular it refers to a Job (similar
> a backup job) that reads data that was previously backed up to a
> Volume
> and writes it to another Volume. As part of this process, the File
> catalog records associated with the first backup job are purged. In
> other words, Migration moves Bacula Job data from one Volume to
> another
> by reading the Job data from the Volume it is stored on, writing it to
> different Volume in a different Pool, and then purging the database
> records for the first Job.
>
> Sound to me like it moves it and doesn't copy it

Data will be copyed to the other pool. The original data will stay until
the volume is purged, but in the database, the location of the files
will be changed to the new position (pool, volume).

Restore will be done from the new location after the migration is
completed. The original job will marked as migrated (jobstatus "M"). If
you want to use the original job for restore, i think it could be
possible to import and reindex the job with bscan.

greetings

Sebastian