Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] migration

2008-08-13 08:01:54
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] migration
From: Adrian Moisey <adrian AT careerjunction.co DOT za>
To: Ryan Novosielski <novosirj AT umdnj DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 13:59:43 +0200
Hi

>> I have bacula setup to do a full backup to disk on a sunday and
>> incremental ever other day of the week to disk.
>>
>> I would like to now store backups to tape and move them offsite.  How do
>> I "copy" the full backup to tape?  I read that I must use migration[0].
>>
>> is that correct?
>>
>> Can someone give me pointers?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Adrian
>>
>> [0] http://bacula.org/en/dev-manual/Migration.html
>
> The documentation should do it, though you probably want rel-manual not
> dev-manual. AFAIK, you have to have two pools and you run migration jobs
> to move jobs from one pool to another (and one media type to the other).
>
> Perhaps you could try getting started and ask for help if you get stuck
> somewhere?

Thanks.

Will migrate move or copy the data?
 From that page:
The term Migration, as used in the context of Bacula, means moving data
from one Volume to another. In particular it refers to a Job (similar to
a backup job) that reads data that was previously backed up to a Volume
and writes it to another Volume. As part of this process, the File
catalog records associated with the first backup job are purged. In
other words, Migration moves Bacula Job data from one Volume to another
by reading the Job data from the Volume it is stored on, writing it to a
different Volume in a different Pool, and then purging the database
records for the first Job.

Sound to me like it moves it and doesn't copy it

--
Adrian Moisey
Systems Administrator | CareerJunction | Your Future Starts Here.