Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Migration performance

2008-08-11 11:21:01
Subject: [Bacula-users] Migration performance
From: Christoph Litauer <litauer AT uni-koblenz DOT de>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 17:02:52 +0200
Hi,

running bacula 2.2.5.

I just configured migration of my backup jobs from file to tape. The
File device is a raid5 which is able to read up to 100MB/sec. The
maximum file size is 10GB.
The tape device is a LTO-2.

Problem: Migrating small jobs like incremental backups (10-20 MB) takes
about 2 minutes. This is near the time it takes to read 10GB from the
file device. So my guess is, that bacula reads the _whole_ backup
file(s) just to migrate little amount of data instead of seeking inside
of the file and just transfering the minimum backup data.

Migration of big jobs (200GB) result in much higher transfer rates (as
expected).

My file device definition contains option "Random Access = yes", so I
thought, bacula can use seeks (or seek64) and does not have to read the
whole file. Is it a configuration error?

--
Regards
Christoph