Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula asking for wrong tape.

2008-08-10 10:20:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula asking for wrong tape.
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Keith Sudbury" <keith AT netzensolutions DOT com>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 10:20:15 -0400
> Ok but how will i get bacula to want to use the friday2 tape? if i restart
> the daemon i think it will "forget" about the job tbh.

This can work (I have had a sequence backup for the last 3 or so
years) but you need to adjust your retention times so that the only
tape that is appendable is the next sequence tape. You also need to
set the volume use duration to probably 1 day.  Note that the
retention time starts only after the tape is marked Used or Full so
the volume use duration looks like a good fit. Also, I believe this
means you need a 26 day retention time on your media. After changing
both of these in your configuration you still need to use update
volume to set the retention time on all the labeled tapes. You also
need to set all the tapes but the one you currently need to used and
manually purge only the tape needed each week until 1 complete cycle
has elapsed. After this everything should be automatic...

> Am i doing this the wrong way adding all the friday tapes to the same pool?
> should i create  a different pool for each friday job?

That could be done.

John