Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula on Windows Vista / Winodws Server 2008

2008-08-05 07:57:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula on Windows Vista / Winodws Server 2008
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 13:56:14 +0200
On Tuesday 05 August 2008 13:19:44 Riyas Y. wrote:
> Dear all,
>

> In Windows vista and Windows Server 2008, system services cannot
> interact with the desktop.
>

> http://blogs.technet.com/voy/archive/2007/02/23/services-isolation-in-se
> ssion-0-of-windows-vista-and-longhorn-server.aspx
>

> So when we install the bacula in machines running these OSs, we won't be
> able to get the tray icon or the status dialog.
>

> This problem occurs only if it is run as a system service. If it is run
> in some user context, we will get the tray icon and status dialog.
>

> Since Bacula client is meant to run on all windows machines, we may need
> to bypass this limitation.

Yes, Microsoft for supposedly security reasons (incompetence IMO) disallow the
daemon from interacting with the desktop on Vista (and probably their Server
machines).  Too bad.  The solution is to either do without it, which is what
most sysadmins prefer, or for someone to undertake a separate tray-monitor
program that would run on Win32.  The current Bacula developers have about 10
years of work ahead of them for currently planned features, so this would
need to come from the community.

Best regards,

Kern