Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula on Windows Vista / Winodws Server 2008

2008-08-05 11:40:19
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula on Windows Vista / Winodws Server 2008
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 17:39:37 +0200
On Tuesday 05 August 2008 17:31:23 John Drescher wrote:
> > I am sorry to hear about you having to have jaw surgery --- hope it
> > worked out.
>
> Although recovery was a long time (8 or so months of problems and
> pain) it worked out much better than I thought. All the pain and
> numbness is gone and my bottom and top jaw are in the correct position
> (instead of being 12 mm or so off).. I would have done this many years
> ago if I knew this would be the result.
>
> >> and I got tired of
> >> making excuses. The biggest hold up was that the win32 api does not
> >> have the concept of a dynamic layout forcing me to have to find a good
> >> way to do this without porting a lot of code. I do this easy with MFC
> >> but I have 1000 lines of code in 2 layout managers for that... The
> >> reason for this was so I could mimic the display of the unix tray
> >> monitor.
> >
> > Well, there is nothing for you to be sorry about.  I actually had totally
> > forgotten that you were working on this.  I originally thought this
> > problem would create a lot of requests, but until now, no one that I can
> > remember has asked for it so I have to wonder how important the project
> > really was.
> >
> >> Since then I have thought of a few options. I needed to learn qt for
> >> my current work project and I know this dynamic part would be easy for
> >> me in qt but I am not sure how to integrate that into the build
> >> process. Also I have seen that gtk+ is ported to windows. I am not
> >> sure that would help us use the same code. And the last method would
> >> be only show the filedaemon status only so there was no dynamic dialog
> >> needed.
> >
> > Hmm.  Now that you mention Qt, you might be interested in a slightly
> > different problem (somewhat harder perhaps) that *is* a very important
> > project and that is to get bat working on Win32.  As you probably know
> > Bat uses Qt4 >= version 4.2 and Qt4 does run on Win32 machines.  In fact,
> > thanks to Eric Bollengier, we have a first port of bat to Win32.
> > However, it is quite unstable at the moment -- it doesn't take much to
> > crash it.  The current port is in fact, only a half a port.  We have
> > ported the bat code itself, which is cross-compiled on Linux, but we
> > haven't yet ported Qt to be cross-compiled, instead we use the Qt
> > binaries that are pre-built by Trolltech.  We install them on Windows
> > directly then Bat uses them.  Anyway, to get it up to production quality
> > will require someone that likes to spend a lot of time running the
> > debugger (gdb) on Windows and dig into subtle errors ...
>
> Here is what I am working on with Qt:
> On my windows machines I build qt 4.3 from source and use VS2005 to
> compile my medical imaging (itk + vtk + qt + boost) projects under 32
> bit windows XP. I am using CMake to generate the project files so that
> with the same source (checked into cvs) I can also build and execute
> my applications in 64 bit gentoo linux using kdevelop as the build
> [...]

The next step for you or anyone who wants to try to build the Win32 bat is in
the trunk svn to go to <bacula-source>/src/qt-console  and read the file
README.mingw32 which explains how we build it.  It is not an easy process yet
(not as automated as it could be) and as I say, it is not really stable.

Best regards,

Kern