Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Disadvantages to having multiple backups on the same tape // umount vs relase

2008-08-01 10:17:07
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Disadvantages to having multiple backups on the same tape // umount vs relase
From: Keith Sudbury <keith AT netzensolutions DOT com>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 15:16:52 +0100
John Drescher wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 9:36 AM, Keith Sudbury <keith AT netzensolutions DOT
> com> wrote:
>
>> John Drescher wrote:

>>> It is fine. I have had > 30 backups on a single LTO2 tape.

>>> Release is better because it does not remove the drive from bacula's
>>> control so that if you reinsert the tape you will not need to mount
>>> it. If you umount a tape bacula will not have control of the tape
>>> drive until you issue a mount command inside of bacula.
>>>

>> So a "mt eject" should work after I have done a   'release LTO-3' | bconsole
>>
>> And its fine to put in a different tape, so for example release mondays
>> tape do a mt eject then put in tuesdays tape...
>>

> No need to eject. Release will eject the tape but the bacula will
> automatically mount the next tape instead of requiring the user to
> issue a mount in bacula. I hope I am not too confusing...

Cool, I understand now! So i can just add: echo 'release LTO-3' | bconsole

To an Admin job and set the priority higher and this will spit out the
tape, and when a user puts in a new tape and the next job comes around
bacula will be able to use the tape in the drive.

Keith

--
Keith Sudbury
Netzen Solution Ltd