Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Disadvantages to having multiple backups on the same tape // umount vs relase

2008-08-01 08:32:20
Subject: [Bacula-users] Disadvantages to having multiple backups on the same tape // umount vs relase
From: Keith Sudbury <keith AT netzensolutions DOT com>
To: baculausers <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 13:32:01 +0100
Hi,

I have an LTO-3 drive on my server and currently my backups re only
about 100GB, and I could (and currently am fitting multiple backups on
one tape). I am obviously changing the tape each day etc (its not the
same tape) I have a different tape for mon - thursday and friday1
friday2 etc

But I am wondering if I should be using *Use Volume Once = Yes *which
would then mark the tape FULL after it has used it once. If I don't do
this I will eventually get to a day when only half a backup fits on the
end?
*
*Or is it fine to leave more than one backup on a tape?

I am ejecting my tapes with "umount LTO-3" is this ok? or should I be
using "release LTO-3" and then doing umount?

Does bacula rewind the tape if i use release?

Will it cause a problem if I use release and have multiple backups on a
single tape?

Many Thanks

--
Keith Sudbury