Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] 2.4.1 not releasing tapes

2008-07-30 12:52:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] 2.4.1 not releasing tapes
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 18:52:08 +0200
On Thursday 24 July 2008 23:59:59 Shad L. Lords wrote:
> I've run into a situation where it appears that bacula isn't releasing
> the tape in the drive.  I've done releases on both drives but it still
> shows one of the tapes from each of the last two backups as being in use
> by drive2.  I'm performing about 20 jobs spread across 18 hosts and
> bacula is balancing the jobs between the two drives successfully.  The
> one odd thing I've noticed is that the catalog job always gets written
> to a new tape.  The catalog job usually gets assigned drive1 (nst0) and
> the tape that ends up being locked to drive2 (MA3004/WA3003) both had
> free space and weren't in use at the time.
>
> Here is the relevant part of status storage from bconsole:
>
> Device status:
> Autochanger "SL-10K" with devices:
>     "SL-10K-Drive1" (/dev/nst0)
>     "SL-10K-Drive2" (/dev/nst1)
> Device "SL-10K-Drive1" (/dev/nst0) is not open.
>      Drive 0 is not loaded.
> Device "SL-10K-Drive2" (/dev/nst1) is not open.
>      Drive 1 is not loaded.
> ====
>
> In Use Volume status:
> MA3004 on device "SL-10K-Drive2" (/dev/nst1)
>      Reader=0 writers=0 devres=0 volinuse=0
> WA3003 on device "SL-10K-Drive2" (/dev/nst1)
>      Reader=0 writers=0 devres=0 volinuse=0

Just a note here, when looking at the above.  What is significant is that all
the values are zero, which means that the tape is expected to be on that
device but is not currently in use.  What is incorrect is that two different
volumes are listed with the same drive -- unless it is currently in the
process of mounting (acquiring) one, in which case, the non-used one will be
released when the new one is fully mounted ...  at least in theory.

Kern