Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] 2.4.1 not releasing tapes

2008-07-25 20:15:15
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] 2.4.1 not releasing tapes
From: "Shad L. Lords" <slords AT lordsfam DOT net>
To: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 18:14:54 -0600
Kern Sibbald wrote:
> In the output that you show below, there are absolutely no Volumes that are
> locked to any drive.  The only thing that is unusual is that it shows two
> Volumes that we previously reserved on a single drive -- that should normally
> be a maximum of one.  In this case, aside from a tiny amount of memory use, I
> doubt that there is any harm.  I suspect that it has to do with running
> restore jobs, and is very likely fixed by the patch that I posted to bug
> #1126, and will be in 2.4.2 to be released shortly.

I've been able to narrow down when this happens.  It has nothing to do
with restores at all.  In fact I've not issued any restores since
starting all the daemons.  Backups all start about the same time and all
running from the same pool.  I've got other jobs that are running at
prio 5 and so jobs 1-3 all start at the same time.

  - Job 1 (pri 10) starts and is assigned to Drive 1
  - Job 2 (pri 10) starts and is assigned to Drive 0
  - Job 3 (pri 10) waits because max jobs to client is 2
  - Job 4 (pri 15) waits for job 1-3 to finish
  - MA3001 (almost full) is loaded in Drive 0
  - MA3002 (almost full) is loaded in Drive 1
  - MA3001 fills up before Job 1 finishes
  - MA3001 is ejected from Drive 0
  - MA3003 is put in Drive 0
  - Job 1 ends before MA3002 fills up
  - Job 3 is released and starts writing to Drive 1 (MA3002)
  - Job 2 ends (freeing Drive 0 & MA3003 ??)
  - MA3002 fills up
  - MA3002 is ejected from Drive 1
  - MA3003 is ejected from Drive 0
  - MA3003 is put in Drive 1
  - Job 3 ends (supposedly freeing Drive 1 & MA3003 ??)
  - Job 4 starts as all higher priority jobs have finished
  - Job 4 is assigned Drive 0
  - MA3004 is loaded in Drive 0
  - Job 4 ends

What you end up with is MA3001 and MA3002 are full, MA3003 is < 50%
full, MA3004 is < 1% full (catalog in my case).  I would have expected
Job 4 to swap MA3003 back to Drive 0 and write the data there before
starting a new volume.

You also end up with MA3003 showing up in the "In Use Volume status:"
section of the status storage until you restart the SD.

> IMO there is nothing to diagnose further. Any other problems you may be
> having -- e.g. with your catalog job are unlikely to be related.

I don't know if this is a bug or not.  Just wanted to be through and
provide enough information that someone else might be able to duplicate
it.  I'll continue to watch and see if it does the same thing with 2.4.2.

-Shad