Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] update slots prompts for tape drive

2008-07-29 15:42:18
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] update slots prompts for tape drive
From: "John Stoffel" <john AT stoffel DOT org>
To: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 15:41:56 -0400

Arno> Hi,
Arno> 25.07.2008 22:28, Bob Hetzel wrote:

>> Anybody else think this is a bug or am I missing some reason why it
>> should prompt for a drive when I do an "update slots" as shown below:
>>
>> ---
>> *update slots
>> Automatically selected Storage: Dell-PV136T
>> Enter autochanger drive[0]:
>> Connecting to Storage daemon Dell-PV136T at gyrus:9103 ...
>> 3306 Issuing autochanger "slots" command.
>> Device "Dell-PV136T" has 72 slots.
>> Connecting to Storage daemon Dell-PV136T at gyrus:9103 ...
>> 3306 Issuing autochanger "list" command.
>> Catalog record for Volume "LTO263L2" updated to reference slot 1.
>> ---
>> [other tape entries deleted for brevity]
>>
>> Should I file a bug report?

Arno> I don't think so... perhaps a feature request to use the
Arno> available drive is only one is defined for the
Arno> autochanger. Otherwise, it makes perfect sense that Bacula wants
Arno> to know which drive to use a updating slots requires unloading
Arno> the drive it works with.

I think it makes perfect sense for Bacula to just go ahead and use
*any* available drive to update slots, don't bother to ask me unless
there are no drives available.  C'mon, it's not like Bacula doesn't
know which drives are free or not.

Arno> Basically, to read a tapes barcode label, it (often) is required
Arno> to be in a storage slot, not in a tape drive.

So?  Then why bother using (or asking) for a drive to use if you don't
need to use it 90% of the time when using barcodes?

John