Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] waiting for higher priority jobs to finish

2008-07-29 07:15:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] waiting for higher priority jobs to finish
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 13:15:03 +0200
Hi,

please reply to the list...

29.07.2008 01:28, Carlos André wrote:
> Arno,
>
> Damn, you're just right...:( the problem it's different priority... i
> just forgot this :( I just tried with different priority coz my
> incremental backup jobs have different priorities... :(
> My windows machines have 10, then my linuxies have 20... my catalog job
> has 50... oh well.. this just broke my legs. then i need change all my
> priorities to 10 :S
>
> Anyway, that "limitation" dont make sense :(

That's something to argue about :-)

This has been discussed some times, I believe. And while I,
personally, would prefer a different way to handle priorities (i.e.,
jobs with higher priority can run together with lower priority ones,
and high-priority jobs can suspend lower-priority ones if they compete
for resources), I also understand that keeping features stable is
important, and that developing new features needs considerable manpower...

Arno

> [...]
>      > storage="DAT72" priority="10" when="2008-07-28 19:00:00" yes
>      >
>      > BUT I ALWAYS got "waiting for higher priority jobs to finish" on
>     second
>      > job, i've used 2.2.8 until morning, and i've just upgraded to
>     2.4.1, but
>      > i got the same problem... damn, "waiting for highter priority??" i've
>      > set a priority 200 (LOWER) on first job, and a priority 10
>     (HIGHER) to
>      > second :( And even if it's a priority problem, i just configured the
>      > diretor to run up to 20 concurrent jobs (but just one job per time on
>      > each storage resource, i dont want do parallel jobs on same Tape)...
>
>     So far correct, but Bacula never runs jobs with different priority at
>     the same time. This is in the manual, as far as I recall, btw...
>
>     So, set the same priority to all your jobs, and they should run in
>     parallel.
>
>     The message is in fact misleading, though.
>
>      > Running Jobs:
>      >  JobId Level   Name                       Status
>      >
>     ======================================================================
>      >   3679 Full    JOB1.2008-07-28_18.55.00 is running
>      >   3680 Full    JOB2.2008-07-28_19.00.15 is waiting for higher
>     priority
>      > jobs to finish
>      > ====
>      >
>      > I need make a 2 Terabytes backup on my LTO3 (it will take a whole
>     week)
>      > while Bacula make a daily incremental backups on DAT 72, and i
>     cant just
>      > stop all my incremental backups for one week...
>      >
>      > Any one have any idea ??? Please?
>
>     Set the same priority level on all jobs you want to run concurrently.
>
>     Arno
>

>      >
>      > Thanks.
>      >
>      >
>      >
>     Developer's challenge
>      > Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win
>     great prizes
>      > Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in
>     the world
>      > http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
>     <http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/>
>      >
>      >
>      >

>     --
>     Arno Lehmann
>     IT-Service Lehmann
>     www.its-lehmann.de <http://www.its-lehmann.de>

>     challenge
>     Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win
>     great prizes
>     Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in

Sandstr. 6, 49080 Osnabrück
www.its-lehmann.de