Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Changer on different host

2008-07-18 11:36:30
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Changer on different host
From: "Shad L. Lords" <slords AT lordsfam DOT net>
To: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 09:18:53 -0600
Chris Hoogendyk wrote:
> Coming at it from another direction . . .
>
> Having spent a bundle on a robotic tape system with 4 drives, isn't it
> worth looking at the server to see where its performance issues are
> (presuming that's what lead to the current discussion)?

Wrong assumption.  I've got full performance out of my library.  But in
researching the different options I learned the different ways it is
possible to connect it up.

> AIT4 doesn't require the throughput that an LTO3 or LTO4 would require,
> and there are people on the list who have dealt with that level of
> throughput. There are servers available that have multiple GigE
> interfaces and multiple slots to add high speed cards (say dual LVD320
> SCSI) for peripherals and mutliple CPUs. Find out where the balance is
> or where the bottlenecks are in your current system. Then either tune it
> up or replace it.

If you have an unlimited supply of cash this is definitely an option.
For many small businesses this might not be an option.  There are plenty
of great autochangers out there that you can pickup on the cheap from
ebay.  A small company might pick one of these up and want to take full
advantage of it.

The reason I brought this request up is to see if additional
functionally could be added to bacula.  I'm fine if the request gets
rejected.  I'm just trying to help make this product the best it can be.
  If it can be done and the developers are willing to do it then
everyone benefits.

I'm just coming up to speed with bacula and will be trying to look into
what it will take to implement this if possible.  If its easy and can be
done then why not do it.  If it is more difficult then it might take
some time (and some work from others) to get working.  If people don't
want it then just drop it.

-Shad