Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Changer on different host

2008-07-17 09:46:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Changer on different host
From: "Shad L. Lords" <slords AT lordsfam DOT net>
To: Thomas Mueller <thomas AT chaschperli DOT ch>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 07:46:34 -0600
Thomas Mueller wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 15:59:37 -0600, Shad L. Lords wrote:
>
>> With some of the larger changers (many drives) it is possible to hook
>> the robotics and some of the drives up to one host and the rest of the
>> drives to different/additional hosts.  Is it possible to specify the
>> changer that will load/unload the drive as existing on a different host
>> (sd)?
>
> as the bacula-sd executes a shell script* for autochangers, this could be
> scripted with ssh to execute on another host. as this is not the
> standard, don't expect to find any out-of-the box script for this task.

Thanks for the info.  The issue might be locking the robot as it is
could be changing trying to change tapes for two different drives.  What
I was hoping to be able to do is something like this:

host1-sd.conf
=============

Autochanger {
   Name = ait4-changer
   Device = ait4-drive1
   Device = ait4-drive2
   Device = ait4-drive3
   Device = ait4-drive4
   Changer Command = "/usr/lib/bacula/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a %d"
   Changer Device = /dev/sg0
}

Device {
   Name = ait4-drive1
   Archive Device = /dev/nst0
   Drive Index = 0
   Auto Changer = yes
   Media Type = ait4
}

Device {
   Name = ait4-drive2
   Archive Device = /dev/nst1
   Drive Index = 1
   Auto Changer = yes
   Media Type = ait4
}

host2-sd.conf
=============

Device {
   Name = ait4-drive1
   Archive Device = /dev/nst0
   Drive Index = 2
   Auto Changer = yes
   Media Type = ait4
}

Device {
   Name = ait4-drive2
   Archive Device = /dev/nst1
   Drive Index = 3
   Auto Changer = yes
   Media Type = ait4
}

Is this something that would even be possible to implement in the
future?  Would anyone else be interested in something like this?

-Shad