Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Vbackup feature

2008-07-10 11:51:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Vbackup feature
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 17:50:57 +0200
On Thursday 10 July 2008 17:12:04 Alan Brown wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008, David Boyes wrote:
> > > ...  However, in other respects it behaves like any backup -- it does
> > > not delete any previous jobs.
> >
> > I'm suggesting that this vbackup thing change that behavior to do so.
> > I want the consoldated backup to become the only copy.
>
> I Disagree.
>
> One of the reasons I want Vbackups is to avoid 1-2 days of tape run
> against a live filesystem every time a full backup is run.
>
> Ideally I should be able to make ONE full backup and then all subsequent
> backups will be vbackups, ageing out as per usual in my volume cycling
> strategy.
>
> Kern: 2 more questions
>
> I assume that Full=vBackup specification will fallback to Full=normal if
> there is no previous Full to work from?

Actually it is "level=vbackup".

Yes, that sounds reasonable.

> Why not also have Diff=vBackup ?

Anything is possible.  I previously asked for suggestions on what directives
to use for this, but didn't get much, so I have started something very simple
and brain damaged, which should handle most of what people want.

If users want/need virtual differential backups, we could probably invent

level=vfull

and

level=vdiff

but I am not really sure of its usefulness.

Kern