Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] FreeBSD auto-changer disappears when restore spans tapes

2008-07-09 07:24:36
Subject: [Bacula-users] FreeBSD auto-changer disappears when restore spans tapes
From: Danny Butroyd <danny.butroyd AT bigmouthmedia DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 12:24:20 +0100
Hi List

I am running FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p9, with Bacula installed from ports
(version 2.4.0) and I am using an LTO2 Overland Powerloader.

Nearly every restore I do that spans across tapes seems to screw up.
Oddly, I usually only get one file not restoring.  Backups that span
tapes are fine.  This error doesn't always happen (I would say its
around 85% of the time).  The job dumps out with this error:-

---snip---
Fatal error: 3992 Bad autochanger "load slot 2, drive 0": ERR=Child
exited with code 1.
Results=chio: /dev/ch0: open: No such file or directory
---snip---

dmesg reports this:-
---snip---
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Dump Card State Ends >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
(ch0:ahc0:0:3:0): SCB 0x2 - timed out
(ch0:ahc0:0:3:0): Queuing a BDR SCB
(ch0:ahc0:0:3:0): Bus Device Reset Message Sent
ahc0: Timedout SCBs already complete. Interrupts may not be functioning.
(ch0:ahc0:0:3:0): no longer in timeout, status = 24b
ahc0: Bus Device Reset on A:3. 1 SCBs aborted
(ch0:ahc0:0:3:0): lost device
(ch0:ahc0:0:3:0): removing device entry
---snip---

Once this has happened I query the SCSI device like so:-

# camcontrol devlist
<HP Ultrium 2-SCSI F6CH>           at scbus0 target 4 lun 0 (sa0,pass1)

To get the changer device back online I have to powercycle the Tape
Library and then rescan the SCSI devices:-

# camcontrol rescan all
Re-scan of bus 0 was successful

To make sure its back online I requery:-

# camcontrol devlist
<OVERLAND LXB 0106>                at scbus0 target 3 lun 0 (pass0,ch0)
<HP Ultrium 2-SCSI F6CH>           at scbus0 target 4 lun 0 (sa0,pass1)

As this is FreeBSD I then have to change permissions on the newly
created /dev/pass0 and /dev/ch0 device and then I am able to run "update
slots" from bconsole.

Anyone got any ideas where/why/how this is going wrong for me?  The
problem has followed across versions of Bacula for some time now and I
have never got the bottom of it.  The relevant bits of my bacula-sd.conf
are here:-

---snip---
# An autochanger device with two drives
#
Autochanger {
  Name = Autochanger
  Device = Powerloader
  #Changer Command = "/usr/local/sbin/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a %d"
  Changer Command = "/usr/local/sbin/rc-chio-changer %c %o %S %a %d"
  #Changer Device = /dev/pass1
  Changer Device = /dev/ch0
}

Device {
  Name = Powerloader
  Drive Index = 0
  Media Type = LT0-2
  Archive Device = /dev/nsa0
  AutomaticMount = yes              # when device opened, read it
  LabelMedia = yes
  AlwaysOpen = yes
  RemovableMedia = yes
  RandomAccess = no
  AutoChanger = YES
  Maximum Changer Wait = 86400                  # 1 day in seconds
  # Enable the Alert command only if you have the mtx package loaded
  # Alert Command = "sh -c 'tapeinfo -f %c |grep TapeAlert|cat'"
  # FreeBSD Specific Settings
  Offline On Unmount = no
  Hardware End of Medium = no
  BSF at EOM = yes
  Backward Space Record = no
  Fast Forward Space File = no
  TWO EOF = yes
}
---snip---

Thanks
Danny

This message has been scanned for viruses