Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula's bsmtp and gmail

2008-07-09 06:00:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula's bsmtp and gmail
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 11:59:52 +0200
Hi,

09.07.2008 11:51, Mark V wrote:
> Hi Group,
> I'm in the process of trying to set-up bacula.
> I'd like to send emails to my gmail account.   Is this possible?
> I'm getting :
>
> bsmtp: bsmtp.c:145 Fatal malformed reply from smtp.gmail.com: 530
> 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. 32sm9805264wfa.8
>
> when I try to use the bsmtp utility, which make me think this might
> not be possible or am I doing something silly?

Well, bsmtp is just a minimal mail sending program which doesn't know
much about SMPT and related stuff.

> Appreciate any suggestions.

Your best choice would be to send mail through your company mail
server (which needs to be configured to accept mail from your Bacula
machine). You could also set up and configure a mail server on the
Bacula machine, though this might be overkill.

Alternatively, use any other mail programm that can send to gmail and
can be controlled from the shell. Unfortunately, I don't know if any
of the ones I know can use TLS.

Arno

> Mark

Arno Lehmann