Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Not recycling volumes?

2008-07-08 05:27:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Not recycling volumes?
From: Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt AT phoenixsoftware DOT de>
To: Kevin Thorpe <kevin AT pricetrak DOT com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 11:27:26 +0200
Kevin Thorpe schrieb:
I've got a 'daily' pool of tapes which I use from monday to thursday, reusing the tapes each week. I also have a larger pool of friday tapes.

Yesterday I reloaded the previous week's volume which had a retention period of 5 days and the backup proceeded to append to the tape instead of overwriting it. I've seen comments on the 'net about the tape status needing to be 'full' or 'used' instead of append, but I don't know how to arrange that to happen automatically after a backup completes.

See the "Volume Use Duration" pool parameter which controls how
long Bacula will append to a volume.

Warning: Bacula measures that period not from the time when that
volume is first written, but from the starting time of the first
job which wrote to it. That can make a significant difference if
the job had to wait for the tape to be inserted.

HTH
T.

--
Tilman Schmidt