Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Recycling Volumes

2008-07-03 05:39:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Recycling Volumes
From: Steffen Knauf <Steffen.Knauf AT renderforce DOT de>
To: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 11:38:55 +0200
Hi

> Bacula will only recycle volumes if absolutely necessary, ...

But how bacula decide if it's necessary to recycle volumes? From my
point of view it's a little bit random, because
on one day bacula create another volume and on another day bacula
recycle the volume.

>> 18-Jun 01:00 c06-dir JobId 99: Start Backup JobId 99,
>> Job=Project_MUC.2008-06-18_01.00.47
>> 18-Jun 01:00 c06-dir JobId 99: Created new Volume "Vol_ink_MUC0084" in
>> catalog.
>> 18-Jun 01:00 c06-dir JobId 99: Using Device "Project_MUC"
>> 18-Jun 01:00 munich-sd JobId 99: Labeled new Volume "Vol_ink_MUC0084" on
>> device "Project_MUC" (/serverdisks/raid4p3/backup/prj).
>> 18-Jun 01:00 munich-sd JobId 99: Wrote label to prelabeled Volume
>> "Vol_ink_MUC0084" on device "Project_MUC" (/serverdisks/raid4p3/backup/prj)
>> 18-Jun 01:00 c06-dir JobId 99: Max Volume jobs exceeded. Marking Volume
>> "Vol_ink_MUC0084" as Used.
>>

>> The next day, bacula starts recycling the volume which schould be recycled
>> the day before.
>>

>> Here is my pool configuration:
>>
>> Name = Differential_MUC
>> Pool Type = Backup
>> Recycle = yes
>> AutoPrune = yes
>> LabelFormat = "Vol_diff_MUC"
>> Maximum Volumes = 80
>>

> ... and I suppose there are not yet 80 volumes in this pool.

That's correct, but i thought that isn't important if the retention time
expired. But that was a false conclusion ;)
So think the only chance is to limit the Maximum Volumes to the exact value?

greets

Steffen