Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Upgrade suggestions.

2008-07-02 08:26:35
Subject: [Bacula-users] Upgrade suggestions.
From: Steve Campbell <campbell AT cnpapers DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 08:25:58 -0400
I'm running a few boxes with differing versions of Centos on them. Most
are Centos 3, some are newer Centos 5, and a few are the older RH 9
boxes. I'm gradually implementing Bacula on all of these boxes, and have
been using 2.0.3 Bacula and always compiled from source. After reading
the latest announcement, I think I might want to upgrade to 2.4.0 (I
only use disk backups, no tapes). I read in the announcement that I
should be able to use my older clients (fd) with the newer sd and dir,
so that part of it should be OK if I update my sd, fd, and dir on my
primary machine.

My question(s) is that I'd like to start using  RPMs. Can anyone offer
up opinions please on whether I should or shouldn't. If I stay source,
how should I upgrade? If I use RPMs, how should I remove the old
source-compiled version. What RPMs should I use for the above mentioned
versions of Centos? My sd and dir are Centos 3, and the file directors
are all of the above mentioned. Does the bacula-client rpm cover the FD
situations. Is the el3 rpm usable on Centos 5? Or should(can) I just
rebuild the source RPM everywhere?

Sorry for the all-in-one question length. Hopefully, for someone who has
done this, it'll be a simple and easy answer.

Thanks in advance for the time and efforts.

Steve Campbell