Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] After system interruption ERR=No medium found

2008-06-26 02:44:21
Subject: [Bacula-users] After system interruption ERR=No medium found
From: Lucas James BARBUTO <lucasjb AT unimelb.edu DOT au>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 16:44:02 +1000
Hi bacula-users,

This might be more a SCSI subsystem problem than a Bacula one.  Also I
didn't set this system up so I could be doing something completely
wrong.  I have:

Quantum SuperLoader III DLT auto-changer
Bacula Version: 2.0.3 (06 March 2007) running on Red Hat Linux release
9 (Shrike)

A recent power cut meant that the auto-changer was not shutdown
properly, although the server it's connected to was.  Since then I've
been unable to get Bacula talking to the tape drive again.  It can
talk to the auto-changer via /dev/sg9, just not the drive on /dev/
nst0, for example:

*mount
Automatically selected Catalog: MyCatalog
Using Catalog "MyCatalog"
The defined Storage resources are:
      1: File
      2: DLT
Select Storage resource (1-2): 2
Connecting to Storage daemon DLT at terra:9103 ...
Enter autochanger slot: 7
3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded? drive 0" command.
3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0", result: nothing loaded.
3304 Issuing autochanger "load slot 7, drive 0" command.
3305 Autochanger "load slot 7, drive 0", status is OK.
3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded? drive 0" command.
3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0", result is Slot 7.
3901 open device failed: ERR=dev.c:425 Unable to open device
"Drive-1" (/dev/nst0): ERR=No medium found

The system can see the tape device on /dev/nst0

[root@terra bacula]# scsi_info /dev/nst0
SCSI_ID="0,6,0"
MODEL="ARCHIVE Python 06408-XXX"
FW_REV="8071"

But tapeinfo doesn't like it for whatever reason

[root@terra bacula]# tapeinfo -f /dev/nst0
/dev/nst0 is not an sg device, or old sg driver

It is happy to tell me about /dev/sg1

[root@terra bacula]# tapeinfo -f /dev/sg1
Product Type: Tape Drive
Vendor ID: 'ARCHIVE '
Product ID: 'Python 06408-XXX'
Revision: '8071'
Attached Changer API: No
SerialNumber: 'HJ03N1W'
MinBlock:1
MaxBlock:16777215
SCSI ID: 6
SCSI LUN: 0
Ready: no

Note that the "Archive Device =" in bacula-sd.conf used to be /dev/
nst1 but dmesg shows it's now /dev/nst0, relevant dmesg snippets:

Attached scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
Attached scsi tape st1 at scsi1, channel 1, id 14, lun 0
scsi singledevice 1 1 14 1
   Vendor: QUANTUM   Model: UHDL              Rev: 000E
   Type:   Medium Changer                     ANSI SCSI revision: 02

The tape I want to load is next in the cycle.  Usually they say
"Purged" rather than "Recycle" but OK.

+---------+------------+-----------+---------+-----------------
+----------+--------------+---------+------+-----------+-----------
+---------------------+
| MediaId | VolumeName | VolStatus | Enabled | VolBytes        |
VolFiles | VolRetention | Recycle | Slot | InChanger | MediaType |
LastWritten         |
+---------+------------+-----------+---------+-----------------
+----------+--------------+---------+------+-----------+-----------
+---------------------+
|       1 | JPF182S3   | Recycle   |       1 |               1
|        0 |    6,048,000 |       1 |    7 |         1 | DLT-600   |
2008-03-09 17:41:14 |

I've run the auto-changer through a number of self-tests, resets,
unloads and loads, all seems to be working happily.  I tried mounting
a different slot.  I've tried accessing the tape drive through /dev/
sg1 (Operation failed permission denied).  Can anyone suggest what the
problem could be and I go about fixing it?

Regards,

--
Lucas James BARBUTO