Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula Status report

2008-06-25 15:25:48
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula Status report
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: "bacula-announce" <bacula-announce AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>, "bacula-users" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 21:25:27 +0200
Hello,

As you probably are aware, we recently released version 2.4.0.  This was
probably the most tested version that we have ever released, and the release
was primarily an improvement of the handling of tapes for multiple drive
autochangers.  This part of the release seems to have gone quite well.

However, due to the lack time and of beta testers, we did not test manual tape
changes (as documented in the release notes).  It turns out that the new code
does not work well with manual tape changes.  As a consequence, we recommend
that if you are not using autochangers to wait upgrading to 2.4.0.

Rather than put out a quick patch and probably have additional problems later,
we prefer to carefully find and resolve as many of the manual tape drive
problems.  This will require careful testing to ensure that the problems are
indeed fixed and to ensure they don't affect the autochanger code.

We have now spent a good amount of time developing automatic testing of manual
tape changes (yes, it is possible, but a bit complicated), which is one of
the reasons this is taking some time.  Hopefully development of these
automated testing procedures will prevent this kind of problem in future
release.

We expect that it will be a few more weeks before we can release version
2.4.1.

Thank you for your understanding,

Kern