Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] After system interruption ERR=No medium found

2008-06-26 21:29:00
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] After system interruption ERR=No medium found
From: Lucas James BARBUTO <lucasjb AT unimelb.edu DOT au>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 11:26:22 +1000
Hi Arno,

Thanks very much for your reply.

On 26/06/2008, at 6:02 PM, Arno Lehmann wrote:
>> Attached scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
>> Attached scsi tape st1 at scsi1, channel 1, id 14, lun 0
>> scsi singledevice 1 1 14 1
>>   Vendor: QUANTUM   Model: UHDL              Rev: 000E
>>   Type:   Medium Changer                     ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>
> You have two tape drives attached. For whatever reason, the kernel now
> recognized them in a different order than before (could be because the
> power cut left one of the drives in a state where it needed more time
> to recover).

It's become clear to me that I don't understand how SCSI tape devices
are handled by Linux.

Host: scsi1 Channel: 01 Id: 14 Lun: 00
   Vendor: QUANTUM  Model: SDLT600          Rev: 2525
   Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 04
Host: scsi1 Channel: 01 Id: 14 Lun: 01
   Vendor: QUANTUM  Model: UHDL             Rev: 000E
   Type:   Medium Changer                   ANSI SCSI revision: 02

So the tape drive and the changer are at the same SCSI address.  The
above dmesg snippet indicates to me that I should find the tape drive
at st1 or /dev/nst1 yes?  But scsi_info will only tell me about the
"ARCHIVE Python" device at /dev/nst0, it claims that /dev/nst1 does
not exist, which worries me.  Perhaps it's broken?

As I understand it: Bacula talks to the changer via its generic SCSI
device /dev/sg9, but must talk to the tape via the st driver at /dev/
nst1 (this is what the pre-existing bacula-sd.conf indicated).  But
the system claims that /dev/nst1 doesn't exist.

So questions: Is it possible that removing and reloading the st driver
will have the drive detected and the device recreated properly (this
is kernel 2.4.20-8 from RedHat 9)?  Can I talk to the tape via /dev/
sg9?  Anything else I should try?

Regards,

--
Lucas James BARBUTO