Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Using bextract of windows backup without portable=yes

2008-06-21 19:08:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Using bextract of windows backup without portable=yes
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 01:06:11 +0200
Hi,

21.06.2008 13:42, Javier Gomez wrote:

>     I am in the process of performing backups (mostly Windows servers).
> Then using bextract to extract those backups to the "bacula server"
> which is a Fedora server.  Then pulling individual files off of the
> extracted folder.

I won't ask why you're doing this...

>  The problem is that in order to use bextract on a
> unix server for a backup of a windows server, it looks like you need to
> use the "portable=yes" option.

Yes.

>  This works perfectly for that
> purpose...but by using this option we no longer retain the file level
> Windows permissions to be used in a regular Bacula restore which is
> really needed.  So in order to get a clean backup with Windows
> permissions, I need to run two backups of each server.  One would have
> the portable=no and the other with the portable=yes.  Obviously I wanted
> to avoid backing up each server twice everyday.  Does anyone know of any
> other option that could help me to avoid the double backup process?
> Seems like a parameter on the "bextract" command which could apply the
> portable=yes option on the fly.

As the portable flag in the file set causes Bacula to store a
different set of data - some windows' generated stream of data
containing the file itself plus its metadata - that's not so easy.
Basically, bextract would have to parse the data to find the actual
file contents.

As far as I know, bextract can't do this in the released version.

But let me quote from the 2.5 technotes:

     1         Technical notes on version 2.5
     2
     3
     4 New features:
     5 Accurate files
     6 TLS authentication
     7 bextract Win32 data

So, in the development version, this seems to be implemented. You
might decide to become a beta tester :-)

Arno

>  Thoughts?

Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann