Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Issues With Quantum 160/320 SDLT - HP/Compaq Proliant G3

2008-06-17 13:02:13
Subject: [Bacula-users] Issues With Quantum 160/320 SDLT - HP/Compaq Proliant G3
From: RA Cohen <roy AT net-vantage DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 13:01:19 -0400
I have used Bacula with great success with Compaq Proliant DL380 G3s and
the Compaq (Quantum) 20/40 and 40/80 DLT drives. These were mostly
external drives plugged into the same SCSI channel as the drives on
these machines. I never had problems that left me scratching my head
and, incidentally, never ran these drives with SCSI terminators.

Now I have had to upgrade several of my customers to the Quantum 160/320
SDLT and there have been nothing but problems! OK, I understand it is
best practice to add a separate SCSI controller for tape drives in
general, and I have done so. I also believe these drives like to be
terminated, and I have done that. But what in the world is going on when:

1. Correct tape is in drive, tape marked Recycle in catalog.
2. Stat Dir reports the jobs scheduled to run that night correctly, and
directed to the tape in the drive.
3. Night comes - unfortunately I do not have the exact message here -
but the key is the first job is "waiting on device ExternalQuantum"
[ExternalQuantum] is obviously the drive. The other jobs are also just
piled up behind as expected. If is issue "mount" I get the same "waiting
on" message eventually.
4. If I cancel everything, umount the drive, quit bacula, and run:

5. mt -f /dev/sa0 rewind
6. mt -f  /dev/sa0 weof

Re-enter bconsole and:

7. If I run each job manually (in the identical and correct order
because the first job loads and last job unloads) without purging and
deleting the volume I am in the same place exactly.
8. If I purge and delete the volume and then manually run each job they
all run perfectly.

And I also should mention that this seems to be somewhat tape-dependent
- sometimes they will recycle and accept the job correctly. But, the
tapes that produce the error mentioned on step #3 seem also to be able
to accept the jobs when done in the manner of step #8, above, so I
cannot conclude these tapes are bad. And I also should note I am having
this problem on two somewhat different systems:

-Proliant G3 FreeBSD 6.2 server Bacula 2.2.8_2 with drive on separate
SCSI controller and terminated. External drive array shelf attached to
on-board controller as are the internal drives.
-Proliant G3 FreeBSD 6.2 server Bacula 2.2.8_2 drive on same on-board
controller as internal drives and not terminated.

Here is the drive stuff from bacula-sd.conf:

# A FreeBSD tape drive
Device {
 Name = Quantum160
 Media Type = SDLT
 Archive Device = /dev/sa0
 AutomaticMount = yes
 AlwaysOpen = yes
 LabelMedia = yes
 Offline On Unmount = no
 Hardware End of Medium = no
 BSF at EOM = no
 Backward Space Record = no
 Backward Space File = no
 Fast Forward Space File = yes
 TWO EOF = no
}

I have tried the alternate configuration in the Bacula docs with same
result.

I'm stumped - any and all help welcomed and appreciated.

--
Roy A Cohen
Network Advantage LLC