Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula VSS problems / ERR=Access is denied

2008-06-05 03:16:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula VSS problems / ERR=Access is denied
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik AT iki DOT fi>
To: Jürgen Kuri <Juergen.Kuri AT webde DOT de>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 10:15:50 +0300
On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 05:56:34PM +0200, Jürgen Kuri wrote:
> Hello Pasi,
>
> I had a similar strange behaviour with backup via VSS on Windows 2003 Server
> on different systems and
> I assume your problem refers to the M$-VSS service too. In order to determine
> if the issue refers to
> M$-Windows or to Bacula try to make backup via the Windows backup tool
> "ntbackup" at the DOS-prompt:
>
> ntbackup backup "a path you want to backup" /j "test" /l:f /f "a path where
> to store backup file"
>
> This performs a backup via VSS. Take a look in to the eventlog application
> and system in order to see if VSS and ntbackup worked.
>
> If a test backup with ntbackup via VSS fails, perform a test backup without
> reading backup data via VSS:
>
> ntbackup backup "<a path you want to backup>" /j "test" /l:f /snap:off /f "<a
> path where to store backup file>"
>
> If the test backup via VSS does not work you will most likely have a problem
> referred to VSS.

Hello!

I tried backups with ntbackup and they seem to work fine using VSS.. I ran 8
backups with ntbackup (/snap:on) and they worked fine.. no errors or warning
in the event logs.

So that makes it interesting.. why does Bacula have problems with using VSS?

> With
>
> "vssadmin list writers"
>
> on DOS-prompt you can see if the VSS-writers have any problems. But in my
> case "vssadmin" did not show any VSS-writer problems although we had a real
> VSS-problem.

Yep, I don't see any problems with VSS-writers..

> There is a Microsoft web page which may be will give you a solution:
> http://dnn.mssbsfaq.de/SBS2003/Backup/ReinitialisierungdesVolumeShadowCopyService/tabid/1038/language/de-DE/Default.aspx
>  . But, alas, it is in german.
>
> Microsoft says, if you have a faulty installation - what ever this means -
> has changed involved components of VSS it could affect the VSS-functionality.
> If so, you have to reregister the VSS-components by doing the following on
> DOS prompt or via a batch file:
>
> cd %windir%\system32
> Net stop vss
> Net stop swprv
> regsvr32 ole32.dll
> regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
> Vssvc /Register
> regsvr32 /i swprv.dll
> regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
> regsvr32 es.dll
> regsvr32 stdprov.dll
> regsvr32 vssui.dll
> regsvr32 msxml.dll
> regsvr32 msxml3.dll
> regsvr32 msxml4.dll
> Net start swprv
> Net start vss
>
> We did this here with our system and our third-party backup system and
> ntbackup worked fine again.
>
> I heard from the support of out third-party backup product that more and more
> customers run into VSS problems if they make backups via VSS and all clues
> seems to lead to M$-Windows' VSS.

Thanks a lot for your reply!

-- Pasi