Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Slow backup from VMWare

2008-06-01 18:01:03
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Slow backup from VMWare
From: "Robert LeBlanc" <robert AT leblancnet DOT us>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 16:00:50 -0600
I take it you want to know about our home brew solution. We wrote a couple of
Perl Scripts. One gets the host that a VM is on, one gets the paths that belong
to the VM (in our case we have VM disks on different datastores for the same
VM) and we have a script that disables DRS for the VM being backed up.

The nasty part is that we have to have a client entry for each VM times the
number of hosts. We also have to have a fileset for each VM even though the
script dynamically generates the fileset. We have two hosts so a job for a VM
is scheduled for both hosts. If the VM is not on the host then the script
returns an error and the job is failed. If the VM is on the host, then a
snapshot is generated, DRS for the VM is disabled so that the VM is not
migrated during the back up. The files are sent to tape, DRS is restored to the
previous setting and the backup snapshot is destroyed.

I thought about having cron run the jobs, but I couldn't find a way the modify
the client in a job.

If you are interested in the actual scripts and configs, let me know. Someone
may be able to improve on them.

Robert