Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Slow backup from VMWare

2008-06-01 16:10:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Slow backup from VMWare
From: "Regis A. Despres" <bacula-user AT junk.indolore DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 22:10:33 +0200
Hi,

I would really interrested in how you get all this working =]
Btw, yes it use Virtual Center (backup proxy) HD space but for my point of vue
and as Hard I/O on ESX is not really "improved" for, I do not use more than
50Gig per OS.
More important space is allocated in shared Vmdk on SAN that take snapshots and
goes directly on Tape(another one w/another backup solution =/)
So, i never see more than 100Gig in the same time on the Virtual Center (backup
proxy)
About the "SCSI reservations", i didn't diagnose any of this (by lake of
knoledge), but the NAS we use for tests (FreeNAS actualy) is connected in Gig
through NFS, and works (for your purposes) like a charm.

--
Regis A. Despres

Robert LeBlanc a écrit :

| We tried Consolidated Backup and it's a pain in the neck. You have to copy
the whole machine to the Windows machine (1 TB VM = 1 TB of storage on the
Windows machine) before backup up to tape. It also created a ton of SCSI
reservations and took down our test SAN twice.

| We have since opted to putting Bacula client on our ESX host and a series of
scripts to determine which host a VM is on. Our VMs are backed up straight to
tape and they stay running with snapshots. I finished up the scripting
yesterday so we will see how it works on Sunday.

| > |
| > | I guess we cheat - we pause the VM for the duration of the backup, and
| > | simply back up the host. This results in a complete system backup of the
| > | VM, and we get full speed backup of a few large files each night. We can
| > | do this happily because none of our VMs are very large - 10GB at most -
| > | so not too much tape space is used. Our large data set (~3TB) is not
| > | virtualised.
| > | When the host is upgraded, or the VMs are moved somewhere other than
| > | that SLES9 box[1], we'll have a newer version of LVM such that we can
| > | pause the VM, create an LVM snapshot, resume the VM, perform a raw
| > | backup of the snapshot, then delete the snapshot. Much less downtime for
| > | the VM.
| > |
| > | [1] For some reason, we can't currently delete LVM snapshots without a
| > | lot of work including host reboots. This would require huge disk space
| > | wastage or unacceptable reboots!
| > |
| > SUSE

| > the
| > load.

| > rocket

| > |
| > |
| > | --
| > |       Gregory Orange             Phone: +61 8 9387 7955
| > |      System Administator            Fax: +61 8 9387 6686
| > |     RPS MetOcean                        http://www.rpsmetocean.com.au
| > |    System Administrators Guild of Australia  http://www.sage-au.org.au
| > |